Wednesday, January 24, 2024

1137

#digitalart ©gillenacox composed@picsart

 PAPA BOIS: A PREQUEL

He was a boy, 

just a little trini boy

Like any other boy


Pitching marble

Hoarding marble

Swapping marble


Till one day

Oh what a day

A memorable day


He wandered into the forest

The thick dense forest

Spirit and tree filled forest


He was never seen again

No one heard his voice again

His friends looked for him again and again


Till years [after]

Friends who became hunters [after]

Sometimes swore they saw [after]


A familiar face flash by

A face aged now, but with horns

A face older than the hills.

© gillena cox 2024 

[Papa Bois image from google]

##Papa Bois, a French patois word for "father wood" or "father of the forest" is a popular fictional  character in Trinidad and Tobago folklore  

He is the protector of the plants and the animals in the forests. He is half animal and half human. The lower half of his body is of a goat and the upper part of his body (his head, chest, and arms) is like a man's except that he has two horns coming out of his forehead.

BLOG HOPPING TODAY WITH
The prompt; to write about a fiction character before they became who they are [i edited to add: the story / poem is my imagination of what Papa Bois was before he became the mythical character we now know him to be] as the prompt asked... You’re simply being asked to think about the possible background of a famous character or mythological figure and write a poem showing a different side to them...
REVISIT
20230123
20190123
20170123

25 comments:

  1. Well, Gillena, I learned something tonight from Trinidad and Tobago folklore, I had not heard of "Papa Bois" before. Thank you, now, if I can just remember him. I still have my boyhood marbles, they are in Mom's small glass butter churn.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard about him... but love that he might be a very real little boy before becoming a myth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another new and interesting folk story, Gillena, and I read the prequel first! I love the idea of a protector of forest plants and animals in the forests. He’s a bit like a centaur, I suppose. From marbles to plants and animals – not a bad deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your appreciation Kim

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to hear new folk stories from other places. Thank you so much for sharing...I enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your appreciation Di

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for introducing me to this story, it is always a delight to me to read about folklore I did not read about before. I love the form of the poem, it reminds me of nursery rhymes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your appreciation Oloriel

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeously rendered, Gillena. I had not heard of this story so thank you for introducing me to it. 💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your appreciation Sanaa

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sanaa, my poem is not of story told before. It is my imagination of who i think Papa Bois could have been😊

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually got chills reading your prequel Gillena ... your note of explanation. Beautifully composed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooh Gillena, thank you for sharing some of your folklore with us! I enjoyed this so much....especially these words "just a little trini boy" which just place the tale so well. Your note of explanation helped me understand the prequel and yes....get chills as Helen said! You've described Papa Bois so well here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your appreciation Lillian

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gillena, I'd never heard of this character, but you really bring the prequel of Papa Bois to life with a vivid portrayal of his childhood and mysterious transformation in the forest!

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. B
    Thanks for your appreciation David

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nicely done, Gillena. I enjoyed your story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your appreciation Dwight

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved this, Gillena, thanks for introducing me to Papa Bois! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your appreciation Dora

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  21. At first I thought you were writing about Pan, but like the other commenters, was delighted to learn about a new folk story. For some reason, when I was reading, I heard it as singing, in Nat King Cole's voice, like his song Nature Boy. Thoroughly enjoyable, Gillena!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for your appreciation Kim Glover

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete